What NOT to say to a Pregnant Womanby Martha Scully • May 20, 2014
Martha, founder of CanadianNanny.ca, has two children. She remembers all the comments she got about her pregnant belly, and how many people thought they could just touch it without asking. One of our staff members is about 8 months into her pregnancy right now! We asked her, and she hasn't had too many strangers asking to touch her belly, but many friends and family do (which is ok!).
A few years ago, we asked our Twitter followers what type of things they've been asked or had said to them while they were pregnant, and we got quite the response! Here are some of them, with some of our own staff's answers too!
- “Can I touch it?"
- @KathyBuckworth: My mom, when hearing I was expecting #4: “Oh Kathy. Really?”
- “Do you think you’ll have more kids?”
- @clippo: “You don’t seem like the mothering kind”
- “What’s the sex of the baby? Do you know?”
- @just_d_world: At a dinner party I was given pickles w/PB. No kidding. When I was pregnant w/#2, asked if I was due soon… I was 5 months.
- “Are you having a natural child birth?"
- @MPMtweets: maybe not strange, but people asked awfully personal about natural or repeat c/s
- “You must have twins in there!”
- @momstownCtrlAb: sales clerk said “oh my you are as big as a house” when she walked up to help me
- “Don’t worry, you’ll lose the weight! Posh Spice and Demi Moore did!”
- @juliecole: “are you crazy??”
- “You don’t look 8 months pregnant!"
It seems like the lesson learned here is not to make any comments about it! Just because a woman is pregnant, doesn't mean you have the right to comment about it.
Do you have a funny/strange/uncomfortable/offensive comment from your pregnancy?