Dental Health - Get brushing!by Martha Scully • April 17, 2015
According to the Ontario Dental Association, tooth decay is the second most common cause of school absenteeism and is five times more common than asthma in children. How can we promote the importance of dental health to our children in a way that is interesting?
- Once your child is around five, they are probably ready to start brushing on their own. Brush together as a family, so you can keep an eye on them and offer to help out if you think they weren't thorough enough... and at first - they wont be.
- Change their tooth-brush every 1 - 3 months, and bring them to the store with you to pick out their new one. There are lots of fancy, fun designs out there for kids!
- Get your child to practice brushing his or her dolls/ teddies teeth to make it something fun.
- Find a song that lasts approximately two minutes, and dedicate this song to teeth-brushing! You can also download the "learning to brush song" from the Auquafresh website: http://gskvideo.edgesuite.net/Aquafresh_US/2Minute_Brushing_Song.mp3
- Get your kids interested with some interactive online activities provided by the Ontario Dental Assossiation: http://www.youroralhealth.ca/kids/home/.
For more on Kids: http://www.canadiannanny.ca/blog/cat/kids/